1790! Yes, the first census was completed in August 1790 to determine how many delegates each state would have in the House of Representatives.
- United States population was 3,929,625
- Black population 697,624 slaves; 59.557 free blacks
- Philadelphia is the largest city (42,000) New York is the second largest (33,000)
- Virginia was the most populated state with more than 820,000 people
- Almost half the population lived in southern states
- The country is youthful; 490 of every 1,000 whites is under the age of sixteen
We’ve come a long way, and we’re still growing and learning as a nation.
Have a wonderful day!