It’s week 8, and before we all know it, playoff time will be here. Let us not rush though, football season goes way too fast as it is. There are some very interesting matchups this week, and for some of those two loss teams, it’s survival mode. Three losses only works if you’re Notre Dame or Oklahoma, but I digress. Welcome to week 8 of the NCAA College Football season and the noozbuffet.com …..
🏈…Table Seven Top 6 🏈
- (4)OHIO STATE @ NORTHWESTERN- This game between the Wildcats and the Buckeyes will kickoff Friday night, October 18th at 8:30. Northwestern is 1-4, and Ohio State is 6-0. Last week Northwestern lost 13-10 against Nebraska, the same Nebraska team Ohio State beat in Lincoln 48-7. Northwestern is a 28 point underdog at home, which means no one expects them to even come close to winning this game. They’re at home too! Oh boy, this could be along afternoon for the Wildcats, but with all the negativity surrounding them, I can say this, they’re one of the only teams to score on that invincible WIsconsin defense.
- (12)OREGON @ (25)WASHINGTON- Oregon and Washington will kickoff Saturday afternoon, October 19th, at 3:30. This is one of three games I’m really looking forward to this weekend. For some reason, I really like Washington this year, but with two losses already this game is super-duper important. A must win for the Huskies. Oregon is 5-1, and they’re in first place in the PAC 12 North. Washington is 4-2, and they’re in second place in the PAC 12 North. It’s a PAC 12 rivalry game, and if Washington wins they put themselves right back in the mix of things (at least a 5-2 tie for first place). Last week the Ducks beat Colorado down 45-3, and since that opening day loss to Auburn, they’ve handled business. Let us not forget that win against a ranked Cal team two weeks ago 17-7. Washington was victorious against Arizona last week, they won 51-27. They lost to Cal and Stanford. Stanford is the only team Northwestern beat, which means something isn’t adding up here. Washington is a 3 point underdog at home, but I feel like that’s not enough. Oregon’s QB Justin Herbert has over 1,600 yards passing, 17 touchdowns, and only 1 interception. Washington has a stud as well at quarterback, Jacob eason. Statistically, these teams match up evenly, but it all comes down to Saturday of course.
- TEMPLE @ (19)SMU- Temple and SMU play Saturday, October 19th, at 3:30. SMU is no joke, and they have the ranking (19) and record (6-0) to back that up. That’s right, they’re ranked 19th, and they’re 6-0. Undefeated and perfect! SMU is home this week in Dallas where they’re 7.5 point favorites, and playing fresh off a bye week. Two weeks ago they had that 3-overtime scare to Tulsa, but they escaped with a 43-37 win. The Mustangs have been nothing short of exciting this season and they seem to be getting better every week. They’re ranked 15th overall in total offense with 498 yards per game, but let’s shine the spotlight on running back Xavier Jones for a moment. Jones is averaging 5.7 yards per carry and he has 12 touchdowns. With wide receivers Reggie Roberson Jr. and James Proche added to the mix the Mustangs have a very balanced offense. Temple is another team that’s hot right now. They’re 5-1, and even though they’re not ranked, they are in first place in the American Athletic East Division. Last week the Owls had a huge upset over Memphis 30-28, but it was that win earlier in the season against Maryland that got the ball rolling and their confidence up. On defense, CB Harrison Hand is leading the team with 47 tackles, I don’t know if that’s good with him being a corner and all, but it’s working, and this week Temple will need all the hands they can get. (I crack me up!)
- (17)ARIZONA STATE @ (13)UTAH- This game will kickoff at 6 o’clock Saturday evening, in Salt Lake City, Utah. Utah is a 13.5 point favorite at home against the Sun Devils. Currently, both teams are 5-1 and share first place in the PAC 12 South Division. After this week, there will only be one true first place team, and that’s what makes this game so exciting. Last week Utah beat Oregon State 52-7. They’re averaging 467 yards per game in total offense, and QB Tyler Huntley is completing 75% of his passes. His backup is completing 100% of his passes (yeah man, he’s 6 for 6). Utah’s defense is led by stud linebackers Francis Bernard (64 tackles, 2 int’s) and Devin Lloyd (67 tackles, 3 sacks). Both of them have touchdowns off of interceptions. I think Arizona State will play much better than a lot of people expect. They beat Washington State last week 38-34, but they caught my eye with an early season win over Michigan State, and again when they beat Cal 24-17. Senior WR Brandon Aiyuk can make plays at 6’1 and 210 pounds. He has 651 yards receiving and 5 touchdowns. Running back Eno Benjamin is averaging 4.2 yards per carry.
- (16)MICHIGAN @ (7)PENN STATE- Kickoff is scheduled for Saturday night, October 19th at 7:30. Penn State is home at Beaver Stadium where they’re 9 point favorites. The Michigan Wolverines are 5-1 right now, and last week they beat Illinois 42-25. Two weeks ago they beat Iowa 10-3. We know Michigan has a very good defense, especially against the pass. On offense, Zach Charbonnet is averaging 4.2 yards per carry, and WR Nico Collins is still the go-to-guy, but now we’re seeing Sophomore WR Ronnie Bell come to life. Michigan’s only loss this season was to undefeated Wisconsin, a team Penn State is lucky not to have on their schedule. If Michigan wants to be successful this week they’ll have to limit mistakes and turnovers, and play the type of game they played against Iowa (with a little more offense going on). Last season Michigan won this game 42-7, and they’re 4-1 in their last 5 games against the Nittany Lions. Penn State is 6-0, and they beat Iowa last week 17-12 on the road. That was big, and it sets the stage for this game against Michigan. I think 9 points is a lot in this game, and I know Penn State is ranked 7th in the country, but c’mon. Iowa was the first game they played all season. Penn State is still unproven at this point, in my opinion. If they beat Michigan this week, okay. Then we got something.
- (3)CLEMSON @ LOUISVILLE- This game is scheduled for Saturday, October 19th, at 12 o’clock in Kentucky. Clemson is undefeated (6-0), and they’re in first place in the Atlantic Coast- Atlantic Division. Louisville is 4-2, and they’re in 2nd place in the same division. Once again, we have another game where it’s a first place team playing a second place team in a division, but sometimes we lose sight of that with records and national rankings. The National Championship stage has become so big, it sometimes overshadows these conference and divisional struggles that are really the essence of college football. It seems like Louisville shouldn’t even be in the ball park with Clemson because the Tigers are ranked 3rd in the Nation, but here they are in second place. For Louisville, I know their goal is first place in the division, which means they’ll be playing like they have something to play for this weekend. Lask week Louisville beat Wake Forest 62-59. and they’re averaging 489 yards per game on offense. That’s 23rd in the country. RB Javian Hawkins has 111 carries for 622 yards (103 yards per game). Clemson beat Florida State last week 45-14 for their 6th win, and as much as I would like to see an upset, I don’t think it’s going to be this week. Clemson is ranked 31st in rushing offense and 18th overall in total yards. Trevor Lawrence does throw interceptions, but Clemson is a solid team. Hey, they are 3rd in the Country. As a matter of fact, they’re like the only team that keeps winning but keeps going down in the rankings. Huh?
How about that list? I’m really looking forward to the Michigan game. Penn State is still undefeated, and Michigan only has one loss. Temple and SMU will be a banger. SMU is on fire, and luck is on their side right now, but don’t sleep on Temple. Alright, I hope everyone has a wonderful day. It’s thursday, but the weekend is almost here. Don’t forget to check back this afternoon a 3 o’clock for our Feature Game Analysis. 🔥🔥🍕🏈🏈🏈👍👍